Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Winnie Pooh birthday cake

Okay, here finally my master piece. ;-)


This is how the Winnie Pooh cake turned out. It was by no means perfect - but oh well. I am trying to think - as long as my daughter does not care for perfectionism I should take it easy as well!



I was actually quite surprised that I managed to make a recognizeable Winnie Pooh bear out of fondant. (Please DO NOT tell me otherwise!!!) At least my daughter instantly recognized "Winnie Pooh!" Well, I do admit that it might have helped that Winnie Pooh always wears a red sweater ... :-) If I think back to my first attempt of making a fondant bear ... oh well ... (I might post some pictures some time soon of my other "cake adventures" so you'll see what I'm talking about.)
The thing I like most about this cake however are - the bees. I don't know why ... but I find them cute! And believe me - those stupid tiny little things were quite some work! I think in the end I probably spent more time on making bees than on the rest of the cake decorating. (However, I made too many bees. I realized that once I tried to put them ON the cake. So I have a bunch still sitting around waiting to be used.)




I was also quite pleased with the taste of the fondant. This marshmallow fondant in my opinion does really have a different taste compared to the "real" fondant. However, I prefer the marshmallow fondant.

For the cake itself I made a simple vanilla and a chocolate cake. (My daughter could not decide which of the two she would rather have ... So mommy made both ...) I cut the two cakes into two layers. I was planning on four layers - alternating the colours. But when putting everything together the cake simply got too high and it would have looked rather weird. So I decided to only use three layers. I put everything together with a vanilly cream/frosting kinda thing ... and I was so happy that it turned out so well.


I have never made a layered cake before - at least not with different layers ... so I was rather scared that somehow the layers might get squashed together and not be recognizeable anymore. But they were fine!


Of course my daughter ended up eating only the cream that was between the cake layers instead of the whole cake ... but I guess that's something one has to live with when being a mom!
Last year she did not even try her birthday cake AT ALL (at least not at her birthday)! So I am making progress and am quite pleased! :-)

Update: I added a post with tips for using fondant and also a post with photos of other cakes I have decorated with fondant ... if you are interested ...



10 comments:

sassypackrat said...

You did a wonderful job on the cake! I'm going to try the marshmellow fondant that you recommend. Remember nothing is ever perfect and it's the effort and love that counts!

LiEr said...

Hi there! Slowly catching up on all the backlogged posts I've been wanting to comment on. What a fabulous cake! Winnie the Pooh looks just like Winnie the Pooh! And I love the little bees. I've never worked with fondant before, and this inspires me to try your marshmallow version for my daughter's birthday in the fall. Gulp. It won't turn out anywhere as nice, though.

Ms Muffin said...

Thanks for the sweet comments.
@sassypackrat and LiEr:
You really should try it! I'm sure it will turn out great! And if you want to know something once you try - just send me an email. I am no expert at all but maybe I can help ... :-)
If I get some time maybe I put together a post about using fondant ... Am going to think about that.

Katie said...

I am in awe of how great your Pooh cake came out. It is sooo utterly adorable!

Unknown said...

what kind of wire did you use for your bees? cake looks cute by the way

Ms Muffin said...

Oh, this is going to be a bit embarrassing ... I actually wanted to use some wire that you can buy at craft stores. I have no clue what it is called ... It comes in different colours and different thickness I think. I just wanted something thin, long and stable enough to actually hold the bees. And I actually wanted to bend it a bit ...
In the end however, I did not have any of that wire at hand and no craft store close ... so my husband "unbend" a couple of unused paper clips. (The shiny silvery ones - not the ones with a plastic coat.) Since I did not have a choice I had to go with that. I actually wanted my bees to fly a bit higher ... but there is only so much length you get out of a paper clip ... :-)

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

You did a great job...and the inside looks so yummy! Happy New Year!

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

You did a great job! :-)

Ms Muffin said...

Thanks for the comments! On my way to check out your blogs ... :-)

Sue said...

Oh my! What do you mean it's not perfect?!? WOW! The bees are my favorite feature, but I love it all!

Thanks for your visit, and blog love:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails