Thursday, January 28, 2010

Mini-tutorial for embroidered shirt (including pattern)

Here comes a mini-tutorial for the "Big sister" shirt I made for my daughter for Christmas. It's actually pretty straight foward but maybe someone might find it helpful ...

All you need to make your own embroidered shirt are


-a white or lightly colored shirt
-embroidery floss (I make sure mine can be washed hot and the color does not bleed)
-printer
-water-soluble fabric marker

and just three steps:

1. Make your pattern (or print the one below)
2. Copy your pattern onto the shirt
3. Have fun embroidering


1. Make your pattern


On request I put up the pattern I used. If you want to use it too just open or download the pattern above, adjust it to your desired size and print.

(The font used is called Everytime I Miss You and you can download it free here at the blog by Kevin and Amanda. As this font did not have the german letter "ß" I simply drew this one by hand.)

If you want to make your own pattern just find a font you like and that will work well for hand embroidery. As already said I used the font called Everytime I Miss You but you could use any other font you like that works for embroidery.
Type your words into the computer. If you have more than one line of words arrange them in a way you like. Print them out in the desired size. This last step might take a few attempts until you get it right ... now you have your pattern!

2. Copy your pattern onto the shirt
(this will only work for white or lightly colored fabric!!!)

To copy your pattern onto the shirt simply put your printed out words under the fabric where you want to embroider (inside the shirt). You should be able to see the printed words through the fabric. Obviously this works only for lightly colored or white fabric! Put the words into the right position (you might have to cut your paper first). You can pin it in place if you want to. Now just trace your words with a water-soluble pen for marking fabric. I used one that will wash out with cold water. There are ones available where the ink simply vanishes by itself. Even if this sounds really cool and will omit the step of washing the fabric with cold water after you are done I would not recommend it. Unless you have only a really short word or are a REALLY FAST embroiderer the ink will vanish before you are done and you will end up retracing your words over and over again ...

2. Have fun embroidering!
I used different stitches and colors. But you could just as well use a backstitch only or only one color ... whatever you like! :-)


(For instructions on how to do embroidery stitches visit my old post to get the link to Stitchschool.)

5 comments:

Mutti said...

You are a sweetheart to post this! It is just delightful! I will send you a picture when I get it made! Thanks, again!

Amanda said...

Oh my gosh! That turned out soooooooooo cute!! I love it! :)

Its So Very Cheri said...

Very cute idea.

I just wanted to come by and give you a heads up that I have a really fun give-a-way starting Sunday. It will go all month long. Each week there will be several winners. I have lots of fun vendors participating.

Cheri

Sandra said...

It's darling! I especially love the different colors and stitches. I'll be doing something similar soon--thanks for sharing!

CraftCrave said...

Thank you! This blog post will be advertised on CraftCrave in the Handcraft category today (look for timestamp: [08 Feb 04:00pm GMT]).

Related Posts with Thumbnails