Wednesday, March 23, 2011

ABC-board thingy ... with tutorial

As promised finally a proper post again. I am sorry for so much quietness. After my last proper post first my little one was sick. Then there was so much to do that there was hardly any time for blogging at all. And then the Japan-thing happened ... and I felt so weird. Whenever I sat down to write a post I could not ... somehow whatever I was going to write felt so unimportant ... I guess I was just in a very strange mood.

I actually got a few things that I wanted to share already for a while. I war not quite sure where to start ...

So first I show you something that I made for my daughter. 
She is 5 and she know all the letters already for a while. She just started to read properly a bit ago. But even though she knew all the letters she could never remember the alphabet. I was not too worried about that - but still I figured if I could make something where she could SEE the alphabet that might help. She has an alphabet poster ... but I wanted something that would show the alphabet in a row. So I made this quick and fun project



I made an ABC -board

Or what would you call it?
A rail? Or ... I am a bit lost about a name.

Anyway, it was fun. And quick. And you do not need much. And - it worked. Ever since I hung up that thing in her room she knows the whole alphabet. In order! :-)
Am so proud!
And happy!

So if you happen to have a kiddo that is about to learn the ABC and want your own ABC board thingy ... I wrote down how I did it.

This is what you need:

- wooden letters
- acrylic paint
- a long wooden board
- glue

And this is what I did:

1. I used really cheap self-adhesive wooden letters that I scored in the 1Euro section of one discounter. But you can of course use really fancy ones, too. 


If you use big letters I would recommend sanding them. But to be honest - I did not do that. Do not tell on me! 

2. After you did - or did not - sand your letters ;-) you paint them. Easy! And fun!


After you put a coat of paint on them let them dry. 

3. If you like your letters that way you can already hop on to step 4. But I wanted to make mine a bit more colorful so I added some more paint and ended up with this:


That was SO MUCH FUN!
Let dry again.
4. Get your wooden board and - depending on what it looks like - you might want to put some paint on it, too. After it is dry you glue the letters in place. 
And that is it! 
DONE!



Admire your work a bit more .... ;-)


By the way, this project is really easy to customize.
You could hang the letters pretty much any other way you can think of. 
I actually had this idea that you could make letters and put them into colorful circles to the wall. Kinda randomly scattered around. It would of course not help with learning the alphabet - but it would sure be a really cute decoration! If you like letters that is. 
I do! :-)
And you could play "I spy" with letters ... I figure that would be fun ...

Oh, and here is another treat for you. I found this a while ago and thought it was cute. 


To me it is not much use yet as my daughter is not learning English yet. 
But once she is I think I will print it. So cute!

Hope you enjoyed this!
Have a lovely day!!!


I am sharing this here:

12 comments:

Laura said...

Very cute idea! The way you painted the letters is such fun! You could do that for children's names too, that would be cute.

Anonymous said...

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [24 Mar 01:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

Care said...

I love it! I was thinking the same thing about kids' names, too -- it would be so cute.

I hope everyone is feeling better!!

Blue Velvet Chair said...

Super cute! LOVE the patterns on the letters. Thanks for your note on my 'button mosaic mirror' post - I've got more buttons for projects if you've got any ideas for me to try :-)
Michael at Blue Velvet Chair

Shabby Soul said...

I think this is precious. Even though my children are 16 & 13 - I may just have to make them one!

FineArtPainting said...

Very cute. thank you for shazing it in our DIY CRAFT TUTORIAL PARTY at http://www.FineCraftGuild.com

We love it/

A new party is opening btw today. Come in a few hours...

Rose

Unknown said...

love this thingy lol
may even let the kids paint or atleast decorate the letters. can't wait to see what you make and share!


Stop by and link up again at my 2nd ed. Make and Share Friday! I'd love to have you again!

~ Christy

Elle Belles Bows said...

What a brilliant idea! Love all the colors! Stopping by from Tip Me Tuesday!

Kerri

Melanie said...

I'd love for you to come link this up at my Tuesday Time Out Linky Party! The link is below!
Smiles,
Melanie
Reasons To Skip The Housework
Tuesday Time Out Link Up Party

Lindsay Conner said...

Very CUTE! Lindsay @ Craft Buds

April said...

This is so cute. I love the idea! I have been wanting to make something for my kiddos like this since they seem to be trying to write out their letters on their own. I thought if they had something to look at often it would help them....Thanks for the idea and tutorial. I would love for you to link this to my Sew Crafty Saturday Party !...it's open till Monday night...

skinner studio said...

Great idea! It is easy, but produces such a wonderful end result! Great job!

Related Posts with Thumbnails