Friday, May 6, 2011

How to crochet a portable doll crib



After the post on the 


I have been asked whether I could give some guidelines on how to make the 


above. 
So here are some of my thoughts on it. 
This is not going to be a tutorial or pattern as I have made the thing quite some time ago and do not have enough time right now to try to recreate it. These are just some basic guidelines how I went about - you will have to figure the rest out for yourself. :-)
Hope this helps a bit though. 


1. I worked the whole thing in single crochet. I like to do it that way as it will give the "stiffest" result. I am not sure whether double crochet might also work though.

2. For the base of the doll crib I just crocheted a rectangle. I basically started at one of the shorter sides. I crocheted a chain as long as I wanted this side to be. (Get the doll that is supposed to sleep in there and use that as a "measure".) Then I just added rows to this until the rectangle was slightly "longer" than the doll supposed to be in there.

3. Then I added the sides of the crib. I simply did it by starting to crochet the sides directly to the rectangle base. I just started to single crochet into the upper loop of every single crochet around the whole rectangle.
(Does that make any sense to you?)
Make sure that you do not increase at the corners - or anywhere else for that matter - as you want your sides to go "straight up". 
You could probably also just crochet rectangles again to make up the sides and join everything by sewing it together. I suppose that would work as well.

4. The handles - well, I made them with a certain technique that I had read about. I have no idea what it is called. Basically I crocheted a chain as long as I wanted the handle to be. Then I turned the chain a bit and crocheted single crochets into the BASE loop of each chain. (You usually do not crochet into that loop.) You can add a second regular row - or as many until your handles are "wide" enough. By doing it that way your handle will not be just a narrow rectangle but it will curve slightly - which I liked. 
But if that description does not make any sense to you, you could also just crochet narrow rectangles and use these as handles. 
I just sewed the handles to the sides. 

And that was it!
It cost me the most time to fiddle around to get the base rectangle to the correct size ... the rest worked up quite quickly. 

Hope this helps anyone a bit.
If you are making a doll crib - please let me know. Would make my day! :-)

And if there are any other questions just ask! I am happy to answer.
And if it takes a bit - I am sorry. I try my best to not take TOO long ...

3 comments:

Rhiannon said...

Thank you for writing this up, I think it makes sense, but I won't know until I can do it. So I'll have to get on to cutting up that sheet so I can give it a go. If I can get time, I'm thinking this will make a great birthday present for my little princess.

Anonymous said...

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [07 May 01:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

Papgena Made It said...

I think you explain it quite well! :)
I hope I'll find the time to do it, I'll like to try it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails